Linebacker Reggie Ragland, who the New York Giants added to their roster along with several other young veterans this spring, is in the news for his fundraising efforts down in his hometown of Huntsville, Alabama.

Ragland, who attended the University of Alabama, teamed up with another local NFL player, running back Kerryon Johnson of the Detroit Lions, to “help out their friend Sierra Jones’ effort for You Are Redeemed Ministries. All of the proceeds from the event went towards the group’s Reform Project, which aims to grow fresh fruits and vegetables to give to impoverished families in the community,” as per WAAYtv.com.

“I try to do as much as I can to help the city out and it’s very easy because it’s such a fast-growing city, there’s so many willing people here to do things,” Johnson, who attended Auburn, said. “It means a lot to me to help the place that raised me and try to give back to make it better.”

“The community helped me become who I am so I am a product of my environment,” added Ragland. “I’m always excited to help my family, my friends, my community and help us be the best we can be.”

Ragland began his career as a second-round pick of the Buffalo Bills in 2016 but did not play due a knee injury. He was traded the next summer to the Kansas City Chiefs where he played for three seasons, winning a Super Bowl ring.

Ragland played for Detroit on a one-year deal last season and signed another one-year deal this March to lay for the Giants.